Motor racing-Haas to repay former title sponsor Uralkali


Formula One F1 - Dutch Grand Prix - Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort, Netherlands - August 23, 2024 Haas' Nico Hulkenberg during practice REUTERS/Piroschka Van De Wouw

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (Reuters) - The Haas Formula One team said on Friday they would repay Russian potash producer Uralkali the balance of a cancelled sponsorship contract after a visit by bailiffs at the Dutch Grand Prix.

The contract was terminated by the U.S.-owned team in March 2022 following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Uralkali was previously majority owned by the father of the team's former driver Nikita Mazepin.

Mazepin father and son were both subject to EU sanctions but the former F1 driver was removed from the list earlier this year.

"Haas fully intends to pay to Uralkali all amounts due pursuant to the arbitration award, and there is no dispute over the amounts owed," the team said in a statement.

"Haas has been working with its lawyers to ensure payment will comply with all relevant U.S., EU, UK and Swiss sanctions laws and regulations," it added.

"We will continue working with Uralkali in the coming days to resolve this matter definitively."

No financial details were given but media reports have valued the original contract at $13 million with $9 million due to be returned.

Uralkali said last month that it was still waiting for the balance of sponsorship money, plus interest and arbitration costs, in what it called a "flagrant violation" of a Swiss arbitral tribunal ruling in June.

It said Haas had also failed to hand over to Uralkali a Formula One car from the 2021 season, as stipulated in the contract.

"A letter sent by Uralkali to Haas in early July providing options for the delivery of the race car to take place went unanswered. Further interest on the awarded sum continues to accrue," the statement said.

Uralkali told the website on Friday that Dutch bailiffs and police had arrived at the Haas paddock hospitality on Thursday to take an inventory of racing equipment.

"We are delighted to hear that, following last night’s visit from Dutch authorities, Haas is finally paying attention to the arbitral ruling," it said.

Haas took part in Friday practice as normal ahead of Sunday's race at Zandvoort.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Hamilton says he forgot who he was but has re-set for new season
Motor racing-Leclerc fastest for Ferrari on final day of F1 testing
Motor racing-Russell concerned by Ferrari's fast starts and his slow ones
Motor racing-Honda battery issue adds to Aston Martin's testing woes
Motor racing-F1 will thrill in new engine era and Verstappen sure to stay, Domenicali says
Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments

Others Also Read