Soccer-Porto parting ways with manager Anselmi after early Club World Cup exit


Soccer Football - FIFA Club World Cup - Group A - FC Porto v Al Ahly - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey, U.S. - June 23, 2025 FC Porto coach Martin Anselmi before the match REUTERS/Susana Vera

(Reuters) -Porto are moving on from manager Martin Anselmi after their group-stage exit from the Club World Cup, the Portuguese club said late on Tuesday.

Porto, who hired the 39-year-old Argentine in January on a two-and-a-half-year contract, finished third behind Palmeiras and Inter Miami with just two points from the games in Group A.

"Porto informs that it has started negotiations with coach Martin Anselmi for the termination of the sports employment contract that had been in force since January 2025," Porto said in a statement.

Porto finished third in the league last season, nine points behind champions Sporting.

(Reporting by Pearl Josephine Nazare in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Wellington coach Italiano quits after 5-0 loss to rivals Auckland in A-League
Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks
Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response

Others Also Read