Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks


Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - December 8, 2025 Manchester United co owner Jim Ratcliffe and Chief Executive Officer Omar Berrada in the stands before the match Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Feb 21 (Reuters) - Manchester United ⁠owner Jim Ratcliffe will face no disciplinary action for ⁠saying Britain had been "colonised" by immigrants, the Football Association said ‌on Saturday.

British billionaire Ratcliffe last week apologised for his choice of language but said it was important to raise the issue of immigration. His initial comments ​drew a rebuke from Prime Minister Keir ⁠Starmer.

"As background guidance, we have ⁠issued Sir Jim Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities as ⁠a ‌Participant in English football when taking part in media interviews. We won’t be taking any further action," the FA ⁠said in a brief statement.

Ratcliffe, the founder of ​chemicals giant INEOS, ‌had said in the February 11 interview that high migration ⁠and people ​living on benefits were damaging the economy.

"You can't have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in. ⁠I mean, the UK has been ​colonised - it's costing too much money," Ratcliffe told the broadcaster. "The UK has been colonised by immigrants, really, hasn't it?"

Manchester United manager Michael Carrick ⁠avoided wading into the controversy on Friday, instead emphasising the club's proud tradition of equality and global reach.

"Equality, diversity and respect for each other is something we look to carry through every day," ​Carrick told reporters ahead of a Premier ⁠League trip to Everton.

Manchester United, fourth in the league with 45 ​points in 26 games, will face eighth-placed ‌Everton on Monday, hoping to consolidate ​a guaranteed Champions League spot with a top-four finish.

(Reporting by Karan Prashant Saxena in Bengaluru; Editing by William Mallard)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read