Soccer-Feyenoord lose captain to knee injury for rest of season


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Champions League - Girona v Feyenoord - Estadi Montilivi, Girona, Spain - October 2, 2024 Feyenoord's Quinten Timber celebrates their first goal, an own goal scored by Girona's Yangel Herrera REUTERS/Albert Gea/File Photo

MILAN (Reuters) - Feyenoord captain Quinten Timber has been ruled out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery on a ligament injury, his club said on Monday.

He hurt the knee in an awkward fall last week when Feyenoord beat AC Milan 1-0 in the first leg of their Champions League playoff tie in Rotterdam and did not travel with the rest of the squad to Italy for Tuesday’s return.

With six goals in 18 games, Timber has been key for the Dutch club this season but he had now joined a long injury list at the club, who have eight other players out for the match in Milan.

The 23-year-old Timber is the twin brother of Arsenal defender Jurrien Timber, who suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury to his right knee during his Premier League debut in August 2023. He had surgery and was out of action for several months.

Striker Calvin Stengs, injured during the 3-0 win over Bayern Munich in January, has recovered, however, and will have some part to play on Tuesday.

Despite the setbacks, Feyenoord’s interim coach Pascal Bosschaart was upbeat about his side’s chances at the pre-match press conference.

"We all sympathise with Timber, it's a shock for everyone," he said.

"But we are here with a good team. The same formation as last week but without Timber but with Calvin Stengs. We are happy that Stengs is back in the selection, he is good for half an hour.

"We are 1-0 ahead, we are in a good position to reach the next round. AC Milan will definitely do something different than in Rotterdam, we also have to make plans for that, but we have prepared well. Hopefully our plan will come to fruition,” Bosschaart added.

(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Wellington coach Italiano quits after 5-0 loss to rivals Auckland in A-League
Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks
Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response

Others Also Read