Soccer-Feyenoord part ways with manager Priske ahead of Milan Champions League clash


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Champions League - Manchester City v Feyenoord - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - November 26, 2024 Feyenoord coach Brian Priske before the match Action Images via Reuters/Jason Cairnduff/File Photo

(Reuters) - Feyenoord have parted ways with manager Brian Priske, the Dutch club said on Monday, with the side fifth in the Eredivisie standings despite a win at the weekend, and with a Champions League tie with AC Milan two days away.

Priske signed a three-year contract in June last year when he replaced Arne Slot, who left to take charge at English side Liverpool, but has been under pressure in recent weeks after a string of poor results.

Saturday's 3-0 victory over Sparta Rotterdam was their first win in five league games, but they remain 12 points behind leaders Ajax Amsterdam. They were also knocked out of the KNVB Cup, a trophy they won last season, by PSV Eindhoven last week.

"The club cites the inconsistent results and a lack of chemistry as the main reasons," a Feyenoord statement said.

"Although Feyenoord achieved some impressive results with Brian, especially in the Champions League, the first team's performance has been far too inconsistent in recent months, and unfortunately, we see too little structural progress."

Feyenoord's 3-0 win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League last month did temporarily restore Priske's standing within the club. However, they lost 6-1 to Lille in the final game, which meant they finished 19th in the league phase standings.

The club host Milan in the first leg of the knockout phase playoffs on Wednesday. Feyenoord are expected to announce an interim coach and backroom staff on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Trevor Stynes; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks
Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence

Others Also Read