PETALING JAYA: England’s Ben Lane has returned from surgery hungrier than ever and he wasted no time showing it.
Partnering Sean Vendy, Lane produced a polished performance to outclass South Korea’s Kim Gi-jung-Kim Sa-rang 21-18, 21-16 and storm into the men’s doubles third round at the World Championships in Paris on Tuesday.
The victory sets up a tricky clash against Malaysia’s world No. 7 pair Man Wei Chong-Tee Kai Wun today and Lane made it clear he is fired up for the challenge.
“I’ve had the surgery, now we’re at the world meet and we want to make it count,” said Lane.
“In men’s doubles, anyone in the top 20 can beat anyone, it’s about who’s prepared best, who’s feeling good and who can get momentum.
Lane went under the knife in June to remove a small extra bone behind the ankle joint.
The 28-year-old and Vendy had to miss tournaments, including the back-to-back Japan and China Opens last month and the world meet is their first tournament after the difficult time.
Lane first felt pain in his ankle during the Malaysian Open in January but decided to delay surgery to keep competing.
“I didn’t know what it was. This ankle issue is more common in basketball and football players,” said Lane in an interview with the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
“I had a steroid injection that eased the inflammation. For about six weeks the pain was gone, then it started again on the eve of the All-England (in March).
“At the start, adrenaline and painkillers were working but then my body got used to them. I couldn’t even point my toe towards the end.”
After making a speedy recovery, Lane is out to make his mark with Vendy in the world meet.
“I have to be careful because I’m ahead of schedule. Although it feels good, I can’t just go straight back into what I was doing,” said Lane.
“I’ve been doing everything I can in the gym and on court. This is my first major surgery so I don’t know what to expect coming back but I feel quite confident Sean and I can perform and play well.
