Jun Hao gets rare chance to spar with Antonsen as part of world reparations


Raring to go: Based on the World Championships draw released on Wednesday, Anders Antonsen could be Leong Jun Hao’s opponent in the last eight if both go that far.

PETALING JAYA: It’s not often that a player gets to spar with a potential opponent before facing him on one of badminton’s biggest stages.

But men’s singles shuttler Leong Jun Hao will have that rare opportunity when he trains with world No. 2 Anders Antonsen of Denmark ahead of the World Championships from Aug 25-31 in Paris.

Jun Hao will head to Copenhagen for a training camp from Aug 18-22 where Antonsen is expected to be present, before the Malaysian makes his debut in the world meet.

Based on the draw released on Wednesday, world No. 25 Jun Hao could go up against Antonsen if both reach the last eight.

Singles coaching director Kenneth Jonassen believes the sparring sessions are a crucial part of Jun Hao’s preparations for the world meet.

“Jun Hao’s preparations so far have been good but as always the final 10 days before the tournament are very important,” said Jonassen.

“The training camp is crucial as we can fine tune many details there. We will have high quality real match play and the intensity will be even higher.

“I believe Anders will be there (in Copenhagen) during the training session,” he said.

Despite starting as the underdog, Jonassen believes Jun Hao has a good chance to go far in Paris.

The 26-year-old has been given a favourable start in the competition as he will avoid the world’s top 10 players in the first two rounds.

Jun Hao should have no problems beating Switzerland’s Tobias Kuenzi in his opening match before a meeting with either Japan’s world No. 14 Kenta Nishimoto or Taiwan’s world No. 28 Wang Tzu-wei in the second round.

The going gets tougher for the 2017 Asian Junior champion if he makes it into the third round as he could face another Taiwanese, world No. 6 Chou Tien-chen.

“I think we can be happy with this draw. There are chances if Jun Hao can play at his very highest level and stay consistent,” said Jonassen.

Meanwhile, another Malaysian men’s singles representative Lee Zii Jia will be making his much awaited comeback in the prestigious meet after a long injury layoff.

Zii Jia has been struggling with an ankle injury this year and last competed in the All-England in March.

The independent player will open his campaign in Paris against South Korea’s world No. 38 Jeon Hyeok-jin.

If he gets past Hyeok-jin, Zii Jia could take on China’s world No. 4 Li Shifeng in the second round.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Badminton

Zakry doubles down on depth in women’s ranks
Rexy keeps Thomas Cup door open despite Goh-Izzuddin joining training
Chong Wei plays down Zii Jia concerns, gives him time to decide on Finals
Chong Wei says Zii Jia's injury not serious, understands his situation
Sze Fei-Izzuddin agree to Thomas Cup, Asian Games, says Rexy
Zii Jia, Jin Wei have one week to decide on BAM's Thomas-Uber Cup offer
Chong Wei meets Zii Jia, Jin Wei at BAM over Thomas-Uber Cup talk
New coach Zakry seeks stronger back-up behind Pearly-Thinaah
Rosman sees bright future for Carmen-Xin Yee
Positive start for Roslin in Egypt role despite Cup miss

Others Also Read