Top pairs could still be included in SEA Games team


Malaysia men’s doubles shuttlers Aaron Chia-Soh Wooi Yik in action against South Korea’s Kim Young-hyuk-Wang Chan during the first round of Malaysian Masters at Axiata Arena in Bukit Jalil on Wednesday. — IZZRAFIQ ALIAS/The Star

PETALING JAYA: National doubles pairs Aaron Chia-Soh Wooi Yik, Pearly Tan-M. Thinaah and Chen Tang Jie-Toh Ee Wei remain in the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) plans for the SEA Games in Thailand this December.

National doubles coaching director Rexy Mainaky said BAM have yet to finalise the 20-player list for the biennial multi-sport event following a selection committee meeting with the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

BAM have requested a one-week extension before submitting the final list to OCM, citing concerns that main rivals Thailand and Indonesia may also field strong pairs in their bid for gold.

“Thailand will be sending their strongest squad, and I understand Kunlavut (Vitidsarn) will also be competing,” said Rexy.

“We still need to discuss further, including with the singles camp led by Kenneth (Jonassen) and other coaches such as Herry (Iman Pierngadi) for the men’s doubles.

“We are among the top three contenders. If Thailand and Indonesia send their strongest teams, we will do the same. If not, we will at least send a line-up capable of mounting a strong challenge.

He also dismissed concerns of a scheduling clash between the SEA Games and the BWF World Tour Finals in Hangzhou, China.

The badminton competition at the SEA Games will take place from Dec 8 to 14, while the World Tour Finals are scheduled for Dec 17 to 21.

Earlier, Aaron expressed his intention to make way for other pairs such as world No. 7 Man Wei Chong-Tee Kai Wun or the in-form Wan Arif Wan Junaidi-Yap Roy King, who recently won the Macau Open, to compete in Thailand.

Aaron and Wooi Yik previously won the men’s doubles gold medal at the 2019 SEA Games in Manila, the Philippines.

Rexy said while he respected Aaron’s view, a thorough discussion must be held before making any decision.

“It doesn’t mean I don’t support what Aaron said. I respect it, but there are many factors to consider and matters that require detailed discussion. 

''We value the players’ opinions, and in men’s doubles, we have several other strong combinations,” he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Badminton

Jonassen believes Jin Wei has rediscovered her rhythm, will be good for Uber Cup
Zakry doubles down on depth in women’s ranks
Rexy keeps Thomas Cup door open despite Goh-Izzuddin joining training
Chong Wei plays down Zii Jia concerns, gives him time to decide on Finals
Chong Wei says Zii Jia's injury not serious, understands his situation
Sze Fei-Izzuddin agree to Thomas Cup, Asian Games, says Rexy
Zii Jia, Jin Wei have one week to decide on BAM's Thomas-Uber Cup offer
Chong Wei meets Zii Jia, Jin Wei at BAM over Thomas-Uber Cup talk
New coach Zakry seeks stronger back-up behind Pearly-Thinaah
Rosman sees bright future for Carmen-Xin Yee

Others Also Read