Tze Young returns to light training, gets good support from coach


National men’s singles shuttler Ng Tze Yong in action against Hong Kong’s Angus Ng Ka Long in the first round of Malaysian Masters at Axiata Arena, Bukit Jalil on Wednesday. — IZZRAFIQ ALIAS/The Star

PETALING JAYA: Men’s singles shuttler Ng Tze Yong is showing positive signs in his recovery from a knee injury, having returned to light training on court.

The 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games gold medallist shared an update from Doha, where he has started basic racquet and shuttle drills while seated, as he is still recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery on his right knee, which he underwent in early July.

National singles coaching director Kenneth Jonassen has been in contact with Tze Yong to check on his condition and offer support during this challenging period.

Jonassen also sent words of encouragement to Tze Yong, who is currently undergoing rehabilitation alone in Doha.

"I have spoken to him and he's still upbeat. Obviously, he’s on a long journey and my focus remains the same - to give him the best opportunity to return to competitive sport by being supportive.

"I’ve heard from the physio that he’s putting in the work in the areas he can. He’s still in Qatar and I can’t wait to have him back here. Even if I don’t see him daily, just having him in our training environment, even if it’s just in the gym, would be great.

"Fingers crossed, from what I understand, the rehab process is going well and he’s in good spirits. When you’re going through a long recovery, staying positive is key," said Jonassen.

However, Jonassen has yet to give a clear timeline for Tze Yong’s full recovery, as it will depend on the player’s condition and the advice of the medical team.

"As for his return, that decision lies with the doctors. They’ll determine when he’s ready and of course we’ll follow the advice of the experts," he added.

Tze Yong had previously been sidelined for 14 months following two back surgeries and only returned to competition in April this year after a lengthy layoff.

However, after featuring in just three tournaments, misfortune struck again.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Badminton

Psychological pressure proves costly for independent duo Goh-Shevon
Home heartbreak again for Tang Jie-Ee Wei
Sze Fei-Izzuddin take on Aaron-Wooi Yik in all-Malaysian semis
Letshanaa's Malaysian Masters run ends with q-final loss
Arif-Roy King reach first semis of season at M'sian Masters
Justin backs Jonassen amid singles slump, fine with Danish training style
Senior shuttlers bag three medals at All England meet
Look in the mirror and walk the talk, says Jonassen
Tang Jie-Ee Wei brace for old foe Yaxin in the semis
Underdog Letshanaa topples top 10 player to continue home run

Others Also Read