Avoiding lightning strikes during a thunderstorm


Photo: AP

THE death of a schoolgirl yesterday, who was reportedly killed by lightning while she was indoors at her home in Gua Musang, Kelantan, shows how important it is to avoid touching or using electrical devices during a thunderstorm (“Girl, 12, killed by lightning strike in Gua Musang”, The Star, Aug 16; online at bit.ly/star_strike).

She is believed to have been electrocuted by a lightning-caused surge of electricity that entered the house through the power line and transferred to her body while she was holding a charging handphone. By holding the phone, her body completed the circuit to the ground where all electrical current will flow.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 53
Cxense type: NA
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Letters

We cannot continue living with the existential threat of nuclear weapons
Better care for all
Teach good values to future leaders
Local knowledge is best when voting is best
Arrest these bad driving habits now
Proud of our language
‘Don’t let children’s future go up in smoke’
Budget for an ageing population
Call for dementia to be declared a health priority
Missing physicians at Hospital Serdang

Others Also Read