LA PAZ, May 21 (Xinhua) -- Bolivia entered its third week of roadblocks and protests Thursday, with highways blocked in seven of the country's nine departments, disrupting supplies of food, fuel and medicine.
The state highway agency reported at least 54 blockade points, mainly in La Paz, Oruro, Cochabamba and Potosi, with additional disruptions in Santa Cruz, Pando and Chuquisaca. Only Beni and Tarija reported normal traffic.
The protests began with demands from farmers, miners, teachers and factory workers, but have grown into a broader challenge to President Rodrigo Paz's government. Groups aligned with former President Evo Morales and labor unions are now calling for Paz to resign and for elections to be moved forward.
On Thursday, members of the Bolivian Workers' Central marched through central La Paz toward Plaza Murillo and the government headquarters, which were guarded by police and military units.
The government has called for dialogue while tightening security around key institutions. Prosecutors said this week that arrest warrants had been issued for labor leader Mario Argollo and 24 other protest leaders linked to the blockades.
Business groups warned that the unrest is also taking a growing economic toll. The National Chamber of Industries said losses have exceeded 600 million U.S. dollars because of halted transport, disrupted supply chains and reduced industrial activity.
