Hantavirus case confirmed in Romania


BUCHAREST, May 18 (Xinhua) -- Romania's National Institute of Public Health (INSP) confirmed a case of hantavirus infection on Monday.

The INSP clarified that the infection involves a strain specific to Romania and Europe, and is unrelated to the recent outbreak of the Andes virus, the hantavirus strain identified aboard the cruise ship MV Hondius.

The Arad County Public Health Directorate reported that serological tests indicate that this is a chronic infection, likely contracted during the patient's previous hospitalization at a psychiatric facility.

The patient is in stable condition and remains hospitalized under continuous medical supervision, it said, adding that the best protection against infection is the use of masks and gloves when cleaning enclosed spaces that have been unused for long periods and may be inhabited by rodents.

Previously, a hantavirus outbreak aboard the Dutch-flagged cruise ship killed three people, raising fears of a new pandemic. However, the World Health Organization has said that the overall risk to the public remains low.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump says holding off on Iran attack planned for Tuesday
Three dead in shooting incident in central BiH
Foreign tourism in Latvia declines in Q1
EU extends sanctions on former Assad regime for one year, delists Syrian ministries
Maldives investigates if Italian divers went too deep in fatal cave dive
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
741 migrants intercepted, returned to Libya in one week: IOM
U.S. Colorado investigates locally acquired hantavirus death
Risk of hantavirus spread in the Netherlands remains low, authority says
South Sudan launches Chinese-built air traffic management system

Others Also Read