TRIPOLI, May 18 (Xinhua) -- A total of 741 migrants were returned to Libya from May 10-16 after being intercepted at sea while attempting to reach European shores, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Monday.
It said the migrants were disembarked in several coastal cities upon their return, but did not provide details on their nationalities or ages.
The interceptions highlight ongoing attempts at irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route, one of the world's most dangerous migration paths. International organizations have repeatedly warned of the risks migrants face during these journeys.
Since the start of 2026, 6,811 migrants had been intercepted and returned to Libya, while 822 had been reported dead or missing on the Central Mediterranean route as of May 16, the IOM said.
