EU extends sanctions on former Assad regime for one year, delists Syrian ministries


FILE PHOTO: European Union flags flutter outside the EU Commission headquarters in Brussels, Belgium July 16, 2025. REUTERS/Yves Herman/File Photo

May 18 (Reuters) - ⁠The European Union on Monday renewed sanctions targeting individuals and entities ⁠linked to former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government for another ‌year, while removing seven entities - including Syria’s defence and interior ministries - from its blacklist as part of a broader easing of measures on Damascus.

The sanctions were extended until June ​1, 2027, following the bloc’s annual review of ⁠its Syria sanctions regime, the ⁠European Council said in a statement.

Those listed remain subject to asset freezes ⁠and ‌travel bans, while EU citizens and companies are barred from making funds available to them.

The EU said the delisting of the ⁠seven entities was intended to support “the strengthening of ​the EU’s engagement with ‌Syria” following the fall of Assad in late 2024 and ⁠the installation of ​a new government led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa.

In a statement, Syria’s foreign ministry said the removal of sanctions on the seven entities would support the country's ⁠recovery and reconstruction efforts, strengthen state institutions ​and help reinforce stability.

It also welcomed the renewal of sanctions targeting figures linked to the former Assad government accused of involvement in violations against Syrians.

The ⁠EU lifted all economic sanctions on Syria in May 2025 while keeping in place measures targeting members of the former Assad administration and sanctions imposed on security grounds.

The bloc said networks tied to the former government ​still retained influence and could undermine Syria’s political ⁠transition and reconciliation efforts.

Earlier this month, the EU also restored the full ​application of its cooperation agreement with Syria, saying ‌the conditions that led to its ​suspension during Assad’s crackdown on protesters in 2011 were no longer present.

(Reporting by Feras Dalatey in Dubai; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump says holding off on Iran attack planned for Tuesday
Hantavirus case confirmed in Romania
Three dead in shooting incident in central BiH
Foreign tourism in Latvia declines in Q1
Maldives investigates if Italian divers went too deep in fatal cave dive
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
741 migrants intercepted, returned to Libya in one week: IOM
U.S. Colorado investigates locally acquired hantavirus death
Risk of hantavirus spread in the Netherlands remains low, authority says
South Sudan launches Chinese-built air traffic management system

Others Also Read