ICC judges reject bid to release former Philippine President Duterte


Relatives of drug war victims holding placards that say "the fight continues" and "make Duterte accountable" in Filipino, react after watching a livestream of the International Criminal Court's rejection of former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s challenge to the court’s jurisdiction over his alleged crimes against humanity charges, in Quezon City, Philippines, April 22, 2026. REUTERS/Eloisa Lopez

AMSTERDAM, April 22 (Reuters) - Appeals ⁠judges ruled on Wednesday that the International Criminal Court has jurisdiction ⁠over former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, dismissing a bid to ‌throw out his trial over his alleged pivotal role in the murder of thousands of people.

Families of the victims who were watching the proceedings from the Philippines erupted in ​joy when the court verdict was read out. ⁠Duterte, who has been held ⁠in detention at the ICC in The Hague since his arrest in ⁠March ‌2025, was not in court.

The Philippines formally withdrew its ICC membership in 2018, and Duterte's defence had argued that this meant ⁠the court had no jurisdiction over the case.

But ​the appeals judges confirmed ‌a lower court ruling that the case could continueand rejected ⁠the defence's demands ​to immediately release the 81-year-old former president.

They ruled that the fact that a preliminary examination - a precursor to a formal investigation - had already started before the ⁠Philippines withdrew its membership was enough to ​trigger continuing jurisdiction over the alleged crimes.

Prosecutors say Duterte created, funded and armed death squads to target and kill suspected narcotics peddlers and users when ⁠he was in power between 2016 and 2022.

Duterte has long insisted he instructed police to kill only in self-defence and has always defended the crackdown.

When the verdict was delivered, applause rang out among victims' families who ​had gathered at a Philippine university to watch ⁠the proceedings. Some chanted: "Hold Duterte accountable."

"No one is above the law, even ​Duterte," said Nanette Castillo, whose son was killed ‌during the brutal campaign.

(Reporting by Bart ​Meijer and Stephanie van den Berg; Additional reporting by Eloisa Lopez and Jay Ereno; Editing by Andrew Heavens and Gareth Jones)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

West Nile virus found in mosquitoes at Israel's main airport as cases rise to 17
Germany's largest auto club warns of high fuel prices
NASA, Katalyst call off SWIFT rescue mission over issues with rescue craft in space
French wine industry under pressure from prolonged heat, drought
Putin calls for new investment cycle to boost Russian economy
Liberia's former vice president charged in investigation of transnational drug ring, government says
South Africa returns ancestral remains to Namibia for colonial redress, healing
Tunisia's int'l investment surpasses 660 mln USD in H1
2 killed, 11 injured in Ukrainian attacks on Russian regions
South African parliament holds summit to tackle gang violence

Others Also Read