US fighter jet shot down over Iran, search underway for crew, US officials say


An American flag flutters on the South Lawn ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump's arrival at the White House, after Israel and the U.S. launched strikes on Iran, in Washington, D.C., U.S., March 1, 2026. REUTERS/Nathan Howard

WASHINGTON, April 3 (Reuters) - ⁠A U.S. fighter jet has been shot down over Iran and a search-and-rescue ⁠operation is underway for any survivors, two U.S. officials told Reuters on ‌Friday, in the first such known incident since the war began nearly five weeks ago.

The Pentagon and U.S. Central Command did not respond to requests for comment.

The prospect of U.S. pilots being alive and on ​the run inside Iran raises the stakes for the ⁠United States in a conflict ⁠that has struggled to win popular support among Americans, according to opinion polls.

It also presents ⁠a ‌challenge to the U.S. military, which faces the twin goals of trying to save the lives of any surviving U.S. crew and safeguard whoever is ⁠involved in perilous rescue missions.

Iranian officials called on civilians to ​be on the lookout ‌for survivors and have flooded social media with images that purport to show ⁠wreckage from the ​aircraft.

The governor of Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province said anyone who captured or killed the crew "would be specially commended," Iran's semi-official news agency ISNA reported.

The incident follows threats by U.S. President Donald ⁠Trump to bomb the country back to the "Stone Age," ​including to attack Iran's energy infrastructure and desalination plants, as he presses Tehran to end the war on U.S. terms.

So far, 13 U.S. military service members have been killed in ⁠the conflict and more than 300 have been wounded, according to the U.S. Central Command. No U.S. troops have been taken prisoner by Iran.

While Trump has repeatedly sought to portray the Iranian military as defeated, Reuters has reported on U.S. intelligence showing Iran ​retains large amounts of missile and drone capability.

As of last ⁠week, the United States could only determine with certainty that it has destroyed about ​a third of Iran's missile arsenal. The status of ‌around another third was less clear but bombings ​likely damaged, destroyed or buried those missiles in underground tunnels and bunkers, Reuters' sources said.

(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Andrea Ricci)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Australian mushroom murderer Erin Patterson begins appeal against sentence
Japan's farmers go nocturnal as deadly heat intensifies
North Korea condemns US-South Korea drills despite Trump order to scale back
Climate change is driving record heat in Europe's seas, scientists say
U.S. stocks close lower as tech shares sink
Iran says its ambassador met four nationals detained in Kuwait
1st LD: Dozens killed in gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border
Urgent: Dozens feared dead in gold mine collapse on Cameroon-CAR border
Interview: China's growing radio astronomy capacity helps push frontiers of cosmic exploration, Polish astronomer says
U.S. stocks close lower

Others Also Read