Russian air defences down 65 drones headed for Moscow, mayor says


March 14 (Reuters) - Russian ⁠air defence units have downed 65 ⁠Ukrainian drones headed for Moscow throughout ‌the day on Saturday, Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said.

Sobyanin, writing on Telegram, said the drones were intercepted ​over an 11-hour period beginning ⁠around noon (0900 GMT). ⁠Crews were examining the fragments at the ⁠sites ‌where they fell.

The governor of Bryansk region on the Ukrainian border, ⁠Alexander Bogomaz, said on Telegram that ​units in ‌his region had downed 128 drones. ⁠He gave ​no time frame.

Ukrainian forces earlier this week said they had struck a key plant ⁠producing missile components in Bryansk ​region. Bogomaz said seven people died in that attack, without saying what was hit.

According ⁠to the most recent report issued by the Russian Defence Ministry, air defence units intercepted 280 Ukrainian drones on Saturday ​in various parts of ⁠central and western Russia over a 10-hour ​period ending at 9 ‌p.m.

It said 47 drones ​targeting Moscow were among those downed.

(Reporting by Reuters; editing by Diane Craft)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read