California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered


LOS ANGELES: The bodies of all nine people who died in a deadly avalanche in US Northern California earlier this week have been recovered, authorities said on Saturday (Feb 21), reported Xinhua.

Officials confirmed that four bodies were recovered on Friday (Feb 20) and five others on Saturday morning. All the bodies were hoisted out by helicopters.

The avalanche struck at approximately 11.30am local time on Tuesday (Feb 17) in the remote Castle Peak area in Nevada County.

A group of 15 people, including 11 clients and four guides from Blackbird Mountain Guides, a professional backcountry tour company, was returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day guided ski trip when the accident occurred, the company said in a statement.

Only six in the group survived the avalanche, the deadliest avalanche in the country in more than four decades.

The survivors were rescued Tuesday evening after search and rescue teams navigated blizzard conditions for several hours.

Eight of the skiers were confirmed dead on Wednesday (Feb 18), with the ninth missing and presumed dead until Saturday.  — Bernama-Xinhua

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Bodies , Nine , Victim , Avalanche , California

Next In World

Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21
France captures mixed relay gold to conclude Olympic ski mountaineering debut

Others Also Read