AU urges permanent ceasefire, full implementation of revitalized peace accord in South Sudan


ADDIS ABABA, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- The African Union (AU) on Tuesday called for a permanent ceasefire and full implementation of the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan following a three-day field mission to Juba, the country's capital.

The delegation, comprising representatives of 15 members of the AU Peace and Security Council (AUPSC), engaged with South Sudan's President Salva Kiir and other political leaders on the ongoing implementation of the revitalized peace accord as well as the December 2026 elections, which will end the transition period in the conflict-hit country.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read