Israeli military intelligence chief resigns over Oct 7 Hamas attack


This image made from video provided December, 2023, by Israeli Defense Forces shows Aharon Haliva, the head of Israel’s military intelligence in Gaza City, Gaza Strip. Haliva resigned on Monday, April 22, 2024, over the failures surrounding Hamas' unprecedented Oct. 7 attack, the military said, becoming the first senior figure to step down over his role in the deadliest assault in Israel's history.(Israel Defense Forces via AP)

Jerusalem (AFP): The Israeli military said on Monday (April 22) that the chief of its intelligence directorate has resigned after taking responsibility for failures leading to the unprecedented Oct 7 attack by Hamas.

Major General Aharon Haliva is the first high-ranking official to step down for failing to prevent the attack that shocked Israel and the international community.

"Major General Aharon Haliva, in coordination with the chief of the general staff, has requested to end his position, following his leadership responsibility as the head of the intelligence directorate for the events of Oct 7," the military said in a statement.

"It was decided that MG Aharon Haliva will end his position and retire from the IDF (army), once his successor is appointed in an orderly and professional process."

In his resignation letter, Haliva, who served in the force for 38 years, took responsibility for failing to prevent the attack.

"On Saturday, October 7th 2023, Hamas committed a deadly surprise attack against the state of Israel," he wrote in the letter, a copy of which was given to journalists by the military.

"The intelligence division under my command did not live up to the task we were entrusted with.

"I carry that black day with me ever since. Day after day, night after night. I will forever carry with me the terrible pain of the war."

In his letter, Haliva called for a "thorough investigation into factors and circumstances" that led to the attack.

The Hamas attack resulted in the deaths of 1,170 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Since then, Israel has vowed to eliminate Hamas and is engaged in a blistering assault against the group which rules the Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian territory's health ministry said 34,097 people have been killed in Israel's military campaign in Gaza, most of them women and children.- AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's main military powers to develop low-cost air-defence systems
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on

Others Also Read