Last year was deadliest year for migrants, UN agency says


FILE PHOTO: A migrant gestures on the Geo Barents migrant rescue ship, operated by Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders), as it makes its way to Italy after the rescue of 61 migrants on a wooden boat in international waters off the coast of Libya in the central Mediterranean Sea, September 30, 2023. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi/File Photo

GENEVA (Reuters) - At least 8,565 people died on migration routes across the world last year, making 2023 the deadliest year on record for migrants, the U.N. migration agency said on Wednesday.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said the number of migrant deaths recorded last year surpassed the number of dead and missing globally in the previous record year of 2016, when 8,084 people died.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's strongest military powers plan drone defence programme
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on
Snow-induced halt to flights in Vienna extended until 1100 GMT
Journalist with Germany's Deutsche Welle detained in Turkey
Ukrainians mourn missing homes and loved ones after four years of war
Exclusive-Ukraine's 2026 defence exports could hit 'several billion dollars', official says
South Korea's ex-President Yoon apologises after life sentence over martial law
Christine Lagarde intends to complete her term at ECB, she tells WSJ

Others Also Read