World Food Programme pauses distribution in north Yemen as funds limited


  • World
  • Tuesday, 05 Dec 2023

FILE PHOTO: Beneficiaries of World Food Program assistance queue at a food distribution center amid exacerbating food shortages, in Sanaa, Yemen July 18, 2023. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah/File Photo

RIYADH (Reuters) - The World Food Programme (WFP) said on Tuesday it had paused general food distribution in north Yemen due to limited funding and disagreement with local authorities over how to focus on the poorest there.

Sanaa and northern Yemeni regions are under the control of the Iran-aligned Houthi group, which has been at war since 2014 with a Saudi-backed government that is based in the southern port city of Aden.

The fighting has abated over the last two years, easing what the United Nations has described as the world's worst humanitarian crisis. However, millions still rely on direct humanitarian aid.

The WFP said the decision was taken in consultation with donors and comes after a year of negotiations and no agreement had been reached to reduce the number of people served to 6.5 million from 9.5 million.

Food stocks in the areas under the Houthi administration are almost depleted and resuming food assistance  could take up to  four months  due to disruption of the supply chain, the U.N. agency said in a statement.

There was no immediate comment from Houthi officials.

The WFP had already reduced rations in Yemen since 2022 due to critical funding gaps and global inflation that followed Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The agency said it would continue other programmes, including nutrition and school feeding programmes to limit the impact of the decision.

General food distribution would continue with a focus on the neediest in the areas controlled by the Saudi-backed government, it said.

(Reporting by Aziz El Yaakoubi; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In World

South Korea nurses to take on more medical work due to doctor walkout
There are now two billion 5G-compatible smartphones in circulation
Australian photographer files assault complaint against Taylor Swift's father
Feeling overwhelmed by notifications? Mindfulness could help
Senegal seeks consensus on date for delayed presidential election
Putin vows to boost Russian special forces' ability to strike
Mexican avocados grown on illegal orchards should not be exported to U.S., ambassador says
Benin offers 2,000 troops to Haiti force, US ambassador says
Colombia, ELN rebels hold meeting after troubles at peace talks
Dutch to give 100 million euros to Czech initiative to buy ammunition for Ukraine

Others Also Read