Russia's Wagner group signals it will stay in Bakhmut after threat to quit


Founder of Wagner private mercenary group Yevgeny Prigozhin leaves a cemetery before the funeral of Russian military blogger Maxim Fomin widely known by the name of Vladlen Tatarsky, who was recently killed in a bomb attack in a St Petersburg cafe, in Moscow, Russia, April 8, 2023. REUTERS/Yulia Morozova

(Reuters) - The head of Russia's Wagner mercenary group appeared on Sunday to ditch plans to withdraw his forces from Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine after receiving promises overnight that they would get all the arms needed to capture the devastated city.

Yevgeny Prigozhin announced on Friday that his fighters, who have spearheaded the months-long assault on Bakhmut, would pull out because he said his men had been starved of ammunition and had suffered "useless and unjustified" losses as a result.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws
South Korea says civilians sent drones to North Korea, harming inter-Korean ties
Philippine Vice President Duterte to run for president in 2028 elections
Glove found near Nancy Guthrie's home fails to produce DNA match
Jose Jeri, Peru's ousted president, was one of the world's youngest heads of state
Ukraine's Zelenskiy says Trump exerting undue pressure on him
Allegations in Epstein files may amount to 'crimes against humanity,' UN experts say
Germany sweeps podium in two-man bobsleigh at Milan-Cortina
Norway's Frostad wins epic men's freeski big air final at Milan-Cortina
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read