Suspected political thugs attack electoral office in south Nigeria


By Saliu

ABUJA, March 19 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's electoral body, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Sunday said local security agencies had been put on alert after a group of suspected political thugs attacked one of its offices in the southeastern state of Abia, in an attempt to disrupt the electoral process.

In a terse statement posted via Twitter, the INEC said the unknown thugs invaded its office in the Obingwa local government area of Abia, where results of the governorship and state legislature elections held Saturday were being collated.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read