NATO to massively increase high-readiness forces to 300,000 - Stoltenberg


NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg speaks during a news conference ahead of a NATO summit that will take place in Madrid, at the Alliance's headquarters in Brussels, Belgium June 27, 2022. REUTERS/Johanna Geron

MADRID (Reuters) - NATO will increase the number of its forces at high readiness massively to over 300,000, Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Monday.

"We will transform the NATO response force and increase the number of our high readiness forces to well over 300,000," he told reporters ahead of a NATO summit in Madrid later this week in Madrid.

NATO's quick reaction force, the NATO response force, so far has some 40,000 troops.

At the Madrid summit, NATO will also change its language on Russia that in the alliance's last strategy from 2010 was still described as a strategic partner.

"That will not be the case in the strategic concept that we will agree in Madrid," Stoltenberg said.

"I expect that allies will state clearly that Russia poses a direct threat to our security, to our values, to the rules-based international order."

(Reporting by Sabine Siebold and Marine Strauss)

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In World

Canada confirms 1,168 monkeypox cases, 30 hospitalisations
U.S. dollar jumps amid rate hike expectations
Russia to shut Nord Stream gas pipeline for 3 days
U.S. dollar ticks up
WTI crude futures settle higher
Unidentified attackers seize control of hotel in Somali capital
Polish PM backs Finland's leader in fight for right to party
Gold falls on stronger U.S. dollar
Weak gun laws driving increases in U.S. violent crime: think tank
Number of active U.S. drilling rigs down this week

Others Also Read