Pentagon chief orders review of 2019 Syria strike


FILE PHOTO: U.S. Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin attends a NATO Defence Ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, October 21, 2021. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin ordered a four-star general to review a 2019 strike in Syria that caused civilian casualties, the Pentagon said on Monday.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters that General Michael Garrett, the head of U.S. Army Forces Command, would have 90 days to complete his review on the civilians killed, the compliance of the law of war and record keeping.

Earlier this month the New York Times reported that the U.S. strike in Baghuz, Syria, killed up to 64 women and children during the battle against Islamic State.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali and Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In World

Former lawmaker Murayev says Ukraine needs new leaders
Russia faces severe sanctions if it installs puppet regime in Ukraine, UK minister says
Vatican fraud trial to resume with boost for prosecution
One person killed, two hurt in Budapest hospital fire -police
Penny pinching and power cuts; Lebanon's middle class squeezed by crisis
Senegal elects mayors with eyes on 2024 presidential election
Briton dies, another severely injured in Thailand after knife attack, police say
Tonga struggles with ash, psychological trauma after eruption and tsunami
Syrian Kurdish forces tighten siege after Islamic State prison break
Heavy gunfire heard in Burkina barracks, gov't denies army takeover

Others Also Read


Vouchers