Contactless immigration trial now at Singapore's Changi Airport T4


  • ASEAN+
  • Wednesday, 04 Dec 2019

SINGAPORE (ANN): Eligible Singaporeans returning home through Changi Airport Terminal 4 no longer need to produce their passports to clear immigration under a new six-month contactless immigration trial.

Similar to the recently concluded trial at Tuas Checkpoint, travellers simply need to look at a scanner to verify their identity through iris and facial recognition.

The process is quicker than the current passport-and-thumbprint system, and overcomes problems with fingerprint verification due to ageing, dryness or scarring.

The trial began on Nov 25 and runs for six months.

For now, it is open only to Singapore citizens aged six and above holding passport numbers beginning with the letter "K", and whose passports were issued after Jan 1,2018.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), which is running the trial, said eligible participants should remove sunglasses, caps or other headgear that could obstruct their eyes or face when passing through the lanes.

At T4, ICA will dedicate one lane each to test two methods of clearance.

The first method allows a second traveller in the queue to start the screening process even before the traveller ahead of him has completed the process

If successful, a set of gates will open and let the traveller through.

The second method requires the first traveller to complete the whole process before a second traveller is screened.

More than 22,500 Singaporean travellers participated in the Tuas Checkpoint trial, ICA said, with 90% clearing immigration smoothly while the remaining 10% had difficulties stemming from unfamiliarity with the scanning process.

The trial is part of ICA's New Clearance Concept, aimed at improving handling of the growing volume of travellers passing through Singapore's checkpoints. - The Straits Times/Asia News Network


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online