KUALA LUMPUR: A love scam syndicate, masterminded by Russian and Chinese nationals, was busted following raids at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Nilai.
The syndicate is also believed to have facilitated the entry of blacklisted Chinese nationals into Malaysia.
So far, 21 people have been detained by the Immigration Department.
The syndicate was uncovered following a special operation conducted on Wednesday at KLIA Terminal 1 and a residential premises in Nilai, Negri Sembilan.
Immigration director-general Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the operation, which began at 5.55pm, was carried out by officers from the intelligence and special operations division and security and passport division.
He said the operation followed a month-long intelligence-gathering exercise and information from the public.
“We detained a local man believed to be a syndicate member, along with two Chinese nationals – a man and a woman – aged between 50 and 53 at KLIA.
“Initial investigations found that the syndicate facilitated the entry of foreigners into Malaysia, particularly Chinese nationals, believed to have been blacklisted,” he said in a statement.
Zakaria said the suspects were found to have in their possession two Chinese passports bearing different numbers.
He said e-gates were used with the unblacklisted passports, while the blacklisted ones were in the bags.
“We believe the syndicate member will ferry the Chinese nationals to designated locations for fees ranging from RM150 to RM500 per person, depending on the destination.
“Four Chinese passports, four mobile phones and a sports utility vehicle, believed to have been used by the syndicate, were seized,” he said.
Following questioning, officers conducted a follow-up raid at a residential premises in Taman Desa Melati, Nilai, where several people were arrested, Zakaria added.
Those detained included two Chinese men, a Chinese woman and a Russian woman, believed to be the masterminds, as well as nine Chinese men, a Vanuatu man, a Pakistani man, a Chinese woman, an Indian woman and a Myanmar woman.
“All the suspects were aged between 23 and 33. Background checks found that they had entered Malaysia using social visit passes,” he said.
Other items seized were 28 Chinese passports – one each from Myanmar, India, Vanuatu and Russia, 11 desktop computers, laptops, 40 mobile phones and RM4,800 in cash.
The syndicate would use luxury homes in secluded areas to carry out online fraud.
“The syndicate used social media platforms such as Telegram and WhatsApp to deceive victims through love scams and the sale of counterfeit goods at purported original prices.
“They targeted victims overseas using scripts while members were paid commissions based on the number of people they managed to deceive,” he said.
The local syndicate member and four alleged masterminds have been detained under Section 56(1)(d) of the Immigration Act 1959/63.
The other foreign nationals were held under Section 15(1)(c) of the same Act and Regulation 39(b) of the Immigration Regulations 1963.
