Negri MB should convene state assembly, says Tok Mat


SEREMBAN: Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun should convene the state legislative assembly to determine whether he still enjoys majority support to remain as Mentri Besar, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan (pic).

The state Barisan Nasional chief said the state legislative assembly is the best venue to confirm whether Aminuddin still has the mandate to lead the state government.

“We are a democracy and we have laws.

“The right thing for the MB to do is to seek the consent of the Yang di-Pertuan Besar and call for a sitting of the assembly,” he told reporters after opening the SMK Sri Sendayan annual sports day here yesterday.

Mohamad stressed that he had no malice in making such a call, adding that Aminuddin should act professionally to clear any doubts regarding support for his leadership.

Mohamad was asked about the move by Aminuddin to postpone the state legislative assembly sitting following its opening by the state ruler, Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir, on April 23.

The three-day sitting was originally scheduled to begin on April 27.

Aminuddin has since said the sitting would be held within six months from the official opening of the assembly.

On April 27, 14 Barisan assemblymen from Umno withdrew their support for Aminuddin, claiming a loss of confidence in his leadership over alleged mishandling of the state royal crisis.

However, it was later agreed by the Umno–Pakatan Harapan leadership consultative council that the 14 assemblymen would continue to maintain support for the state unity government.

Mohamad, who previously served as Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar for three terms, said Aminuddin should seek the Ruler’s consent to dissolve the state legislative assembly and return the mandate to the people if he no longer enjoys majority support among assemblymen.

“What is clear is that the four Undang (ruling chieftains) have lost confidence in his leadership.

“One also has to be able to read the signs from above and the people if they still want you to remain as MB,” he said.

He declined to comment on whether Barisan would seek to table a vote of no confidence against Aminuddin when the next sitting is called.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MMC warns against kickbacks in private patient referrals, says fee-splitting unethical
More than 27,000 cattle imported to meet Aidiladha demand
Meticulous to the last detail: Ahmad Izram bids farewell after 32 years in fire service
Melaka SMEs urged to harness multicultural strength amid global headwinds
Experts welcome Child Protection Code but worry over data risks
Govt working to extend energy supply until December
‘New Codes a more proactive and preventive approach’
Penang JPJ seizes 51 luxury cars
Time to explore our own backyard
Chelsea-JDT match set to boost Johor tourism�

Others Also Read