SHAH ALAM: A group of scammers targeting Iraqi victims has been busted after a sweep by the police in the Klang Valley.
The raid was part of four operations conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday in Puchong and Setia Alam, where the police arrested 41 foreigners from four separate crime syndicates.
Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Shazeli Kahar said in one of the raids, police arrested 14 people from a group that targeted Iraqi nationals.
“During the raid, police also seized 20 mobile phones, 12 computer sets, two cars, and one WiFi router, with the total value of the confiscated items estimated at RM132,000,” he said.
Three of the raids were conducted in the Puchong area.
Some of the other suspects were also found to be dealing with data belonging to Chinese scam victims.
“The suspects had been active since early last month, and all of them were account managers who obtained financial data from scam activities conducted on Chinese victims.”
He added that the four groups were not linked to each other.
Meanwhile, police have recorded a statement from former Damansara MP Tony Pua over his social media post on the royal decree and Rukun Negara.
Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department director Comm Datuk M. Kumar said Pua was called up by the department’s Special Investigation Unit yesterday.
He said police had received 77 police reports related to Pua’s case.
Police are investigating the case under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code for statements conducive to public mischief, as well as Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Pua is being probed after he wrote on Facebook, commenting on Selangor Ruler Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah’s statement that Seri Kembangan assemblyman Wong Siew Ki and former Sungai Pelek assemblyman Ronnie Liu should visit Dataran Selangor and understand the principles of the Rukun Negara displayed on the Monument Plaque there.
