Former lecturer loses over RM700,000 to phone scam


KUALA TERENGGANU: A former lecturer lost RM749,000 after she was deceived by a phone scam last year, says Kuala Terengganu district police chief ACP Azli Mohd Noor.

He added that the victim was contacted on July 13, 2025, by suspects impersonating insurance agents and the police, who accused her of being involved in money laundering and had to pay a sum of money for a Bank Negara investigation.

"She was asked to open two new bank accounts and hand the information to the suspect. She was also instructed to transfer money to several different accounts they provided.

"The victim was afraid of legal action and made payments totalling RM749,000 between August 2025 and January this year using her personal savings and bank loans," he said in a statement on Thursday (May 21).

The victim grew suspicious and checked the phone number on the SemakMule app and found that it was owned by a scam syndicate.

She realised that she was scammed and lodged a police report yesterday, he said, adding that the case was being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code.

In another case, Azli said a senior citizen lost RM50,692 to an investment scam on Facebook last April when a suspect offered promised high returns on investments in just three to six hours.

The victim then made a first investment and was informed that he had gained a profit of RM20,039.68. But to withdraw the money, he had to pay RM1,450 as a processing fee.

"He was asked to make more money transfers based on various excuses, even after paying the initial fee, till he suffered losses of RM50,392," he said, adding that the victim lodged a police report yesterday after he realised he was scammed. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
police , scam , lecturer , elderly man , losses , #jangankenascam

Next In Nation

Anwar gives full commitment to secure release of detained GSF 2.0 activists
Johor Immigration nabs 38 undocumented workers at eateries
Perak to boost programmes to support mothers, says exco member
Man who sexually assaulted teen in Bukit Kemuning to be charged soon, say cops
Sabah to review laws to strengthen healthcare governance and autonomy, says state minister
Cops bust Setia Alam scam call centre targeting Iraqis
SNCC condemns Israeli violence against GSF 2.0 activists
Toll evaders, tailgaters get 2,122 letters of demand from highway concessionaire
Don’t exploit Rulers, race and religion for politics, says Selangor MB
Private doctors win temporary relief over drug price display rule

Others Also Read