Kedah PKR welcomes Kedah MB's 'delayed' cost control measures


PETALING JAYA: State governments can no longer be trapped with sensational politics or populist statements in an increasingly complex environment, Kedah PKR says in welcoming Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor's “delayed” cost control measures

“Congratulations to the Mentri Besar of Kedah for finally taking a stance aligned with the leadership direction of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, by announcing that the state government will also implement cost-saving measures in its expenditure to ensure prudent financial management, as well as addressing rising cost pressures and the global energy crisis.

“This step, although somewhat delayed, is nevertheless welcome,” said Kedah PKR communications director Tunku Nashrul Abaidah in a statement on Friday (April 17).

Tunku Nashrul added that the move showed the Federal Government’s approach was mature, measured and based on reality, not rhetoric.

“Ironically, this very approach was once questioned and belittled. Today, it is being adopted as a foundation. If this marks the beginning of such a shift, then it deserves support, even if it has taken time to reach this stage.

“Perhaps after the organisation of large-scale Hari Raya Aidilfitri open house events, there has finally emerged a realisation that fiscal discipline is not an option, but a necessity.

“The people of Kedah will certainly hope that this awareness remains consistent, rather than seasonal,” he said.

Sanusi previously said the Kedah government would issue directives to control expenditure within the state administration as a measure to address the global energy crisis following the conflict in West Asia.

The directive, he said, encourages prudent spending practices as well as the avoidance of revenue leakages and costly errors detrimental to the government, and will be issued after the State Legislative Assembly meeting concludes.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages
Prison term sparks remorse, 54 inmates freed early for Hari Raya Aidiladha

Others Also Read