Soccer-New Zealand brush aside politics ahead of World Cup opener against Iran


Soccer Football - International Friendly - Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland - November 21, 2023 New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne

INGLEWOOD, California, June ⁠14 (Reuters) - New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley brushed aside the political backdrop to his ⁠side's World Cup opener against Iran on Monday, saying his players were focused ‌solely on football despite heightened attention surrounding the match.

The Group G clash in Los Angeles comes after months of conflict involving Iran and a day after Washington and Tehran announced a framework agreement for a deal ​to end their war.

Asked about the wider significance of the ⁠fixture, Bazeley insisted New Zealand had ⁠prepared as they would for any other match.

"To be honest, we've treated it as a ⁠normal ‌game," he told reporters on Sunday.

"We prepare the same for every international game that we play, and we've done nothing different for this game. For us, ⁠it's a big game because it's a World Cup game, ​and we want to ‌do well here at the World Cup."

Captain Chris Wood, New Zealand's all-time top scorer, ⁠echoed his coach's ​view.

"All we've been focused on is football," said the striker. "Once you go through the white lines, nothing else matters."

The match is expected to draw a large Iranian diaspora crowd in Los Angeles, ⁠although it remains unclear how much support the national ​team itself will receive from a fan base divided by politics.

But Bazeley said his players were relishing the prospect of a big atmosphere.

"All the players prefer playing in big crowds and ⁠big atmospheres. It's what we came to the World Cup for," he said.

The fixture marks New Zealand's return to the World Cup after a 16-year absence, and Bazeley said his squad had spent years preparing for the occasion.

"We've waited a long time to be here," ​he said. "We're excited to get going."

New Zealand face an Iran ⁠side ranked 20th in the world and unbeaten through Asian qualifying, but Wood said the tournament ​had already shown there was little separating many of ‌the competing nations.

"It's exciting that mostly all the ​games have been quite tight and quite close, and everybody's had a chance to win," he said. "That gives us confidence."

(Reporting by Hatem MaherEditing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Maguire hopes 'big asset' Rashford stays at Manchester United
Soccer-Ngah’s double leads Cameroon to maiden Women’s Cup of Nations title
Soccer-Lens claim first Trophee des Champions triumph with victory over PSG
Soccer-Man City accept Barcelona bid for Spain midfielder Rodri, say reports
Soccer-Espanyol thump Levante, Santander held by Villarreal on opening LaLiga weekend
Soccer-Scotland appoint Belgian Pocognoli as head coach on two-year deal
Soccer-Manchester City will stay active in transfer market, says Maresca
Soccer-Arsenal humble Man City to win Community Shield
That’s the JDT standard as Johor target only gold in football
Soccer-Ronaldo hints at retirement, says upcoming year could be his last

Others Also Read