Enforcement of age limit for social media use to take effect as early as July


KULAI: The implementation of a minimum age limit of 16 for social media use, aimed at protecting children and adolescents from exploitation and exposure to inappropriate online content, is expected to be enforced as early as July.

Deputy Communications Minister Teo Nie Ching said the initiative is currently in the regulatory sandbox phase, allowing the government to test and refine the most effective implementation methods before full enforcement.

She said the measure is being carried out in line with the Online Safety Act (OnSA), with discussions already underway with social media platform providers to determine the most suitable approach.

"Under OnSA, we have begun discussions with platform providers. We are now in the regulatory sandbox stage to identify the best, most effective and safest way to conduct age verification. At present, we are still in the discussion and planning phase with the platform providers.

"This is our target for this year. As was announced by Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil, we expect it to be implemented in the second half of the year," she said when met after the handing over ceremony of the Early Schooling Assistance at SK Putra Utama here Monday (Jan 26).

The government is reportedly targeting all social media platforms to implement digital user identity verification (eKYC) by the end of the second quarter of 2026 to enforce the minimum age requirement for account registration.

Asked about cyberbullying involving national badminton player Toh Ee Wei, Teo said she had yet to receive confirmation from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) on whether any complaints had been lodged regarding the matter.

Commenting on today’s programme, Teo said the Madani Government, through the Education Ministry, has allocated RM800mil for Early Schooling Assistance (BAP) this year, benefiting approximately 5.2 million students from Year One to Form Six nationwide.

Teo, who is the Kulai Member of Parliament, said 586,153 students received assistance, involving a total allocation of RM87.9mil in Johor.

"For the Kulai district alone, 58,264 students benefited, involving RM8.7mil,” she said. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Businessman claims trial to assaulting foreign woman at KL club
Malaysia, Pakistan share diplomatic experiences in resolving conflicts
Budget 2027: Social Welfare Dept seeks more monthly aid for caregivers of bedridden patients
Bersatu "technically" no longer part of Perikatan, says Takiyuddin
Seven areas in Malaysia record unhealthy API readings as of 9am
Govt will not buy out MyKad maker, says NSC
Sim: Lower costs key to cutting foreign labour reliance
Sabah to use more idle and abandoned land for padi cultivation
Cops probe bullying link in female student’s death
Postpone events, public urged

Others Also Read