Govt to hasten construction of health clinics nationwide, says Dr Dzul


BUTTERWORTH: The Federal Government will accelerate the construction of health clinics nationwide as part of a strategic shift towards a community-based healthcare model, says Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

The Health Minister said the Health Ministry and Works Ministry will be involved in the implementation aimed at strengthening primary care and improving public health outcomes.

Dr Dzulkefly said among the projects that are being implemented are the Bandar Tasek Mutiara Health Clinic in Penang.

"The Type 3 clinic is expected to be completed by the end of this year," he said.

He said the construction of the Mak Mandin Health Clinic (Type 3), which began in September 2025, is scheduled for completion in September 2028.

He added that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had recently approved the construction of the Kubang Semang Health Clinic (Type 2) and the Central Seberang Perai Integrated Health Complex under Budget 2026, involving a total allocation of RM94.6mil.

To address hospital capacity in Seberang Perai and the island, Dr Dzullefly said the Prime Minister has approved an allocation under the First Rolling Plan (RP1) of the 13th Malaysia Plan (13MP) to carry out a Preliminary Study for the Construction of a New (Additional) Building at Hospital Kepala Batas.

He said the Health Ministry is in discussions with the Penang state government to secure an adjacent site for the redevelopment of Hospital Sungai Bakap.

"Plans to redevelop Hospital Bukit Mertajam are also currently under consideration," he said this at the official opening ceremony of the new Seberang Jaya Hospital building.

The new building was officiated by Anwar who is on an official visit to Permatang Pauh.

Construction of the new multi-storey Hospital Seberang Jaya began on May 16, 2016, and was fully completed on April 12, 2025, before commencing phased operations on May 5, 2025.

The new nine-storey building houses 316 beds, six operating theatres, and seven types of multidisciplinary wards, including an intensive care unit and high dependency unit.

With its completion, Hospital Seberang Jaya's total capacity has increased to 729 beds and 11 operating theatres, strengthening its role as a major referral hospital in the northern region.

Also present during the official ceremony were Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow, and Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Goatcha: DVS stops illegal livestock transport
Caregivers not helpers but dignified professionals, says Nancy Shukri
FMM urges swift gazettement of Government Procurement Act 2025
59 reports lodged against Tony Pua so far, says Selangor police chief
Use AI to cut red tape, Nga tells local councils
Govt studying PAKW concept to assess aid eligibility beyond B40, M40, T20, says Akmal Nasrullah
Motorcyclist killed in collision with excavator
Ice lorry driver arrested for stockpiling diesel
GOF seizes RM4.3mil in logs, machinery at illegal timber processing yard in Kedah
Contractor issued show-cause letter over viral video of pickup ramming stray dog, says exco

Others Also Read