Namewee claims trial to drug possession


KUALA LUMPUR: Controversial rapper Namewee (pic) has clai­m­ed trial at the Magistrate’s Court here to a charge of drug possession at a hotel in October last year.

Namewee, whose real name is Wee Meng Chee, pleaded not guilty after the charge was read out before Magistrate Atiqah Mohamed @ Mohamad Saim yesterday.

According to the charge sheet, Namewee allegedly was in possession of 0.78g of sildenafil at a hotel near Jalan Conlay at about 4.30pm on Oct 22 last year.

Other than being used by men who have erectile dysfunction, sildenafil is commonly used to treat the symptoms of pulmonary arterial hypertension in both men and women.

The charge was framed under Section 9(1) of the Poisons Act, which carries a maximum penalty of five years’ imprisonment or a fine of up to RM50,000, or both, upon conviction.

Namewee, 43, also claimed trial to an amended charge of poss­es­sing methamphetamine weighing 1.57g at the same place and time. 

The charge is framed under Section 12(2) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 and is punishable under Section 12(3) of the same Act, which provides for a maximum fine of RM100,000 or impri­sonment of up to five years, or both, upon conviction.

Deputy public prosecutor Nur­ai­nizatul Farhana Zainal prosecu­ted.

Magistrate Atiqah Mohamed fixed March 5 for mention and maintained the RM2,000 bail previously imposed by the court.

Namawee was represented by lawyer Joshua Tay.

On Dec 22 last year, Magistrate S. Arunjothy acquitted and discharged Namewee of a charge of self-administering drugs after the prosecution informed the court that they were withdrawing the charge as the pathology results were negative.

The magistrate acquitted him after deputy public prosecutor Amritpreet Kaur Randhawa infor­med the court that the pathology results were negative and the prosecution had withdrawn the charge.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read