Extra security around KL for Asean summit


No lockdown: Malaysians can expect extra security because of the presence of major world leaders;

PETALING JAYA: Security around the city will be tightened with several road closures in place for the upcoming 47th Asean Summit, but there will be no total lockdown, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

Allaying public concern over a possible lockdown, the Foreign Minister said the situation would be similar to the previous summit held in May.

“It will also be similar to how it was when Chinese President Xi Jinping came to Malaysia.

“It’s not a total lockdown but (there will be) a little bit extra (security) due to United States’ President Donald Trump’s presence,” he said in an interview.

Mohamad says non-essential workers should opt to work from home. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star
Mohamad says non-essential workers should opt to work from home. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

Mohamad said non-essential services companies around Kuala Lumpur should opt for work from home during that period.

The 47th Asean Summit will be held from Oct 26 to 28, marking the culmination of Malaysia’s Asean chairmanship, themed “Inclusivity and Sustainability”.

Apart from Trump, a number of world leaders are expected to attend the summit, including Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Brazillian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, among others.

Leaders from the region – Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, Singapore Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet, Myanmar junta chief Min Aung Hlaing, Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Laotian Prime Minister Sonexay Siphandone and Timor-Leste’s Jose Alexandre Gusmao – will also be present.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim had previously stated that the 47th Asean Summit and its related summits are expected to be among the largest in the history of the regional bloc.

Throughout the summit, about 70 schools will shift to online classes and civil servants working within a 25km radius of the city centre will work from home.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man charged with using other individuals’ MyKad numbers to buy subsidised petrol
Teen drowns while swimming with friends in Sungai Langat
Tahfiz teacher acquitted of sexual assault charges
Respect the rights of the media, says MMM following alleged harassment at Johor Pakatan convention
Even with 40% revenue, Sabah still needs Putrajaya’s help, says Hajiji
Foreigners using M'sians as company proxies to evade tax, says LHDN
Sarawak collects RM3.87bil in revenue, economy projected to grow 5-6%
Respect Rafizi's decision to join Bersama as it is his right, says Aminuddin
Fahmi: No issue with using MyKad for social media age verification
E-hailing driver gets 30 years, 25 strokes of the cane for drug trafficking

Others Also Read