Government blocked website selling Malaysians' personal data, says Fahmi


PUTRAJAYA: A website allegedly selling Malaysians' personal data has been blocked since last year, says Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.

The government spokesperson said this at a post-Cabinet briefing today (September 10) when asked what the government is doing to address leaked MyKad data.

"The website had already been blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) as of last year,” said Fahmi.

He added that the MCMC has also contacted the service provider for details on those behind the site and then said that the media should seek further information from the Commission.

Recently, reports surfaced about a website called Caghi selling Malaysians' personal data for USD50 (about RM210.90).

Reports stated that Caghi is a Malaysian open-source intelligence platform that aggregates data from various public sources.

It leverages tools such as AI, blockchain, and open-source intelligence to provide fast, secure, and anonymous access to public records.

It was also alleged that the website sources data from the National Registration Department (JPN), Road Transport Department (JPJ), MySPR Semak, Ministry of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living (KPDN), telecommunication companies, and more.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read