Second autopsy reveals injuries


KUALA LUMPUR: The second post-mortem conducted on Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) Reserve Officers’ Training Unit (Palapes) cadet Syamsul Haris Shamsudin revealed suspicious traumatic injuries that warrant further investigation, claims lawyer Datuk Naran Singh.

Representing the family, Naran said the procedure, which began at 9am and concluded at 4pm yesterday, was conducted by several senior forensic specialists while being observed by forensic expert Datuk Seri Dr Bhupinder Singh.

“CT scans were carried out before and after the procedure to allow for a comprehensive analysis, followed by a thorough examination of the body.

“The post-mortem revealed suspicious traumatic injuries, which may have caused the death. These findings clearly require further investigation.

“All I can say for now is that there were injuries found on the body. I can’t disclose the exact location and nature of the injuries, as it could compromise ongoing police investigations,” he told reporters at Kuala Lumpur Hospital yesterday.

With the findings of the second post-mortem, Naran urged Attor­ney General Tan Sri Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar to conduct an inquest without delay.

“There must be an inquest immediately. The people are demanding justice, especially the victim’s mother, who has lost her only son. 

“We will not rest until justice is served and those responsible are brought to court, regardless of rank or race,” he said.

He also urged Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail to take prompt and decisive action in the investigation.

Should the Attorney General decline to pursue an inquest, Naran said the family would file another application in court to push for one.

“We are satisfied with the second post-mortem.

“Its findings point out the value of allowing the procedure to go ahead,” he said.

The body was sent for burial following the second post-mortem.

Naran had earlier handed over new evidence to the police regarding the cadet’s death.

He said the evidence consists of an audio recording saved on a USB drive, documents from the court process to obtain the second post-mortem, and photos.

“The audio is a recording of someone who claimed to have been there when Syamsul Haris got injured and saw what happened. The person was unaware of being recorded.

“The recording was handed over to us by another individual who made the recording,” he said.

The audio recording and transcript, along with other evidence, were handed over to Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Depart­ment Prosecution and Legal Division (D5) principal assistant director Senior Asst Comm Datuk Mohd Fazley Ab Rahman, he said.

“We hope the new evidence will assist in giving the police a credible lead on the investigation.

“So far, the investigating officer for the case has been very cooperative and helpful,” he said.

On Tuesday, Aug 26, the Shah Alam High Court ordered the imme­diate exhumation of Syamsul Haris’s remains.

He was buried at the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim Cemetery in Semenyih after passing away on July 28 at the Kota Tinggi Hospital, a day after undergoing training at the Army Combat Training Centre in Ulu Tiram.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail previously said the police will facilitate the victim’s exhumation from the grave of the UTM Palapes cadet to allow for a second post-mortem, following the court order.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read