Bali ferry tragedy: Wisma Putra confirms M'sian's death, says all consular processes concluded


KUALA LUMPUR: Wisma Putra has confirmed the death of Malaysian citizen Fauzey Awang in the tragic sinking of the KMP Tunu Pratama Jaya passenger ferry in the Bali Strait on July 4.

In its final media advisory on the incident, the Foreign Ministry also said that all consular processes have now concluded.

"This follows the completion of arrangements on the ground and in accordance with the family's request for privacy and dignity during this difficult time," Wisma Putra said in the statement Tuesday (July 15).

According to Wisma Putra, the Malaysian embassy in Jakarta had been working closely with Indonesian authorities and the ministry’s own Consular Department from the outset of the incident.

"Their assistance ensured the family of the deceased received comprehensive support throughout the identification and repatriation process," it said.

Wisma Putra said that on July 11, the deceased's next-of-kin arrived in Surabaya, Indonesia, and subsequently travelled to Rumah Sakit Umum Daerah (RSUD) Blambangan in Banyuwangi, East Java, where the remains of the late Fauzey were being held.

"With the cooperation of the East Java Police and relevant local agencies, the family was assisted in all logistical matters including documentation, transportation, and burial rites.

"The burial was completed the same evening, in accordance with the deceased’s final wishes".

Wisma Putra extended its sincere gratitude to the Indonesian government for the exceptional support extended throughout the search, identification, and final arrangements.

The Ministry specifically acknowledged the efforts of the East Java Police, search and rescue teams, hospital officials, and local authorities for their professionalism and compassion.

The Malaysian embassy in Jakarta remains in contact with the deceased’s family and stands ready to assist with any remaining consular needs.

"The Ministry once again conveys its deepest condolences to the family of the late Fauzey Awang and thanks all parties involved for their assistance and empathy throughout this tragedy," the statement added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read