‘A nuke-free South-East Asia more crucial than ever’


KUALA LUMPUR: While the Cold War might have ended decades ago, the threat of nuclear weapons is even greater at present, which is why Asean should remain united in its pursuit for a nuclear-free South-East Asia, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

The Foreign Minister said Asean must ensure that the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon-Free Zone (SEANWFZ) treaty is a dynamic commitment that contributes to regional and global disarmament efforts.

“To compound our worries, current nuclear disarmament methods appear to be struggling to fulfil their purpose.

“Protracted warfare has heightened fears of nuclear escalation with rhetoric from nuclear states, threatening to undermine decades of nuclear disarmament efforts.

“Which is why the Treaty must not just be a legal instrument but a living and dynamic commitment that contributes meaningfully to regional and global disarmament,” he said in his opening remarks at the executive committee of the SEANWFZ Commission meeting.

The Foreign Minister said the world is now confronted with new dimensions of nuclear war, involving advancements in artificial intelligence, cyberwarfare and quantum computing.

This, he said, brought new layers of complexities to the table and raises the potential for escalation, which can be among the most dangerous hallmarks of the world that we live in.

The Foreign Minister then pointed to the escalating tensions in the Middle East, citing Israel’s unprovoked attack with Iran last month.

“The International Atomic Energy Agency made two things clear: that there is no evidence of Iran having a nuclear programme and that nuclear facilities must never be attacked regardless of the circumstances, as it could harm both the people and the environment,” Mohamad pointed out.

He also said that it is “deeply concerning” how South-East Asia remains the only nuclear weapon-free zone that is not yet formally recognised by Nuclear Weapon States through the signing and ratification of the SEANWFZ Treaty protocol.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai
12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft
Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday
Cops nab man connected to 2025 intimidation case
Police to call several individuals in probe over alleged share ownership by Azam Baki
DAP special congress is part of party's internal process, says Fahmi
Sabah flood: Number of victims increased to 3,768 people at noon
Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon

Others Also Read