NRD clarifies viral post alleging Pakistani nationals were given MyKad


KOTA KINABALU: A Malaysian identity card allegedly issued to a Pakistani national, as claimed in viral social media posts, was unlawfully obtained and has been confiscated, says the National Registration Department (NRD).

Clarifying the matter in a statement on Thursday (June 26), Sabah NRD said the same claims were circulated in 2019 and had resurfaced recently.

The posts claimed that several individuals from Pakistan had been given blue MyKad and that the "NRD office in Sabah is always full of Pakistanis applying for ICs".

Some of the claims were accompanied by images of MyKad purportedly issued to Pakistani nationals.

On the confiscated MyKad, NRD said: “The case involving 'Mohd Izaz bin Abit' was investigated.

"The DPP instructed legal action as the individual had used someone else’s birth certificate to apply for an IC.

"The IC was seized after confessions were obtained from both the individual and the facilitator of the application."

NRD also verified the legitimacy of other individuals whose MyKad were circulated in the viral post, stating that they are Malaysian citizens by operation of law under Article 14 of the Federal Constitution.

Furthermore, it said, the father of one individual whose MyKad was shown in the post has been a citizen here since March 6, 1958.

The department reiterated that eligibility for citizenship is determined using strict legal criteria.

"Applicants are responsible for providing proof of eligibility.

"The process is subject to the requirements under Part III of the Federal Constitution, the 1964 Citizenship Rules [LN82/1964], and relevant legislation, including those governing marriage registration, adoption, legitimacy of children, and immigration regulations,” it said.

NRD also stressed that fulfilling the requirements only makes an individual qualified to apply for citizenship and does not guarantee approval.

“As a sovereign nation, Malaysia does not grant citizenship or special privileges arbitrarily,” the statement added.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan

Others Also Read