Kitingan misses Kaamatan launch because of sprained ankle


KOTA KINABALU: Deputy Chief Minister I Datuk Seri Dr Jeffrey Kitingan was noticeably absent from the official launch of the state-level Kaamatan celebration at the Hongkod Koisaan Hall on Friday (May 30).

Kitingan, who also serves as the organising chairman of the month-long harvest festival, was said to have sprained his ankle, preventing him from attending the key cultural event that was opened by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

An aide of Kitingan stated that he did not attend due to medical reasons.

In his absence, Deputy Chief Minister II Datuk Seri Dr Joachim Gunsalam, who is also Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) president, took the stage to deliver Kitingan’s prepared speech to guests and dignitaries gathered for the launch.

The Prime Minister, in his address, acknowledged Kitingan’s absence and shared that he had personally reached out to the Sabah STAR president earlier in the day.

“I called Jeffrey Kitingan earlier this morning, and he is recovering well,” Anwar said.

Kitingan’s absence did not go unnoticed, especially amid heightened political speculation over the direction of Gabungan Sabah (GRS) ahead of the 17th Sabah state election.

Political talk has been swirling that Kitingan might pull Sabah STAR out of GRS if Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor continues to push for the coalition to align with Pakatan Harapan.

The Kaamatan Festival, celebrated annually throughout May, is one of Sabah’s most important cultural events, particularly among the Kadazandusun and Murut communities. The presence of top leaders at its launch is typically seen as a show of unity, making Kitingan’s absence all the more conspicuous.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read