More serious attention should be given to sex education, says Nancy Shukri


LUNDU: Sex education in Malaysia must be given more serious attention through a comprehensive approach that involves schools, parents and various government agencies, says Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri (pic).

She stressed that sex education should no longer be treated as a taboo subject, but rather recognised as a crucial element in shaping values and protecting children and adolescents, particularly in today's increasingly digital world.

"Sex education is included in the school curriculum, but its content remains limited and is often underemphasised. This is a shortcoming that we must address immediately," she told reporters after opening the Malaysia Madani statehood seminar here on Sunday (April 20).

She said the matter had been discussed at the highest levels, including at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and involving various ministries and government agencies.

Nancy said addressing the matter was not only the responsibility of her ministry but required an integrated approach and, most importantly, bringing parents together to educate children about values ​​and personal safety.

"The reluctance of teachers to address the topic, often due to shyness or cultural sensitivities, has resulted in sex education being only lightly touched upon, even though it is included in the textbooks.

"This is an issue that concerns the safety and well-being of our children, and we are actively exploring the most effective and comprehensive ways to address it," she added.

The ministry, she said, would also ensure that parenting programmes would contain elements of sex education to help parents communicate with their children openly and safely on the topic.

Recently in Kelantan, a police officer who checked his 14-year-old daughter's cellphone was shocked to find sexually suggestive messages between the girl and a teenage boy. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read