Penang mufti calls for strict action over scantily-clad dancers in Batu Ferringhi


GEORGE TOWN: Penang mufti Assoc Prof Datuk Dr Mohd Sukki Othman has urged authorities to take stern action following an incident where several women performed a half-nude dance at a public event in Batu Ferringhi.

The performance, which took place during a Songkran festival celebration, was held just 50M from a mosque and sparked widespread outrage after a video of the event went viral on social media.

Dr Mohd Sukki condemned the act, stating that it tarnished the image of the popular tourist destination and violated the religious sensitivities and cultural values of Malaysia, a nation guided by Islamic principles.

"The authorities must act decisively according to existing laws, and the management of tourism venues should tighten their guidelines and monitoring to prevent such incidents from happening again," he said in a statement Wednesday (April 16).

He emphasised that Islam places great importance on dignity and modesty and preserving one's modesty in private and public spaces.

He said that exposing one's body and engaging in inappropriate behaviour in public was clearly against Islamic teachings and should be prevented.

"Society must always be vigilant and not take lightly issues of public immorality. We all have a role to play in promoting virtue and preventing wrongdoing," he added.

The chairman of the Ar-Rahman Mosque in Batu Ferringhi, Ismail Din, also condemned the event, stating that the mosque community had not been informed about the Songkran celebration and only became aware of it after the video went viral.

There must be greater care in granting permits for such events, with celebrations or public entertainment taking into consideration the sensitivities of the local community, he said in a separate statement.

Meanwhile, Timur Laut OCPD Asst Comm Abdul Rozak Muhammad told Bernama that no permits had been issued for the festival.

The event, which took place on Saturday (April 12) and Sunday (April 13) from 4pm until late evening, had tickets priced between RM60 and RM120. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll
Puteri Umno hopes to field candidates in Melaka polls

Others Also Read