Three survive car and lorry collision in Bukit Mertajam


BUKIT MERTAJAM: Three men narrowly escaped death in an accident involving a car and a lorry at Bukit Mertajam on Monday (April 7) morning.

Penang Fire and Rescue Department director Mohamad Shoki Hamzah stated that the incident occurred near the traffic light at the Jalan Kebun Sireh - Jalan Bukit Tengah junction.

"The accident involved a lorry carrying wooden pallets and a luxury car.

"The driver and his co-driver were trapped, while the car driver, 43, was taken to the hospital before the arrival of the Fire and Rescue Department at the scene," he said in a statement.

Mohamad Shoki said both the lorry driver, aged 74, and his co-driver, aged 18, were successfully extricated by rescuers and sustained only minor injuries.

The victims received treatment from the Bukit Mertajam First Aid Association at the scene.

Rescuers also conducted a clearing operation of the accident debris to ensure no risk or danger to other road users.

The operation concluded at about 12.10pm.

Last year, 21-year-old Lee Zi Rou was killed at the same location after a container being transported on a trailer lorry toppled and crushed her car, resulting in her death on the spot.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses
Fashion designer Jovian Mandagie fails in appeal against bankruptcy order
Police hunt 36 wanted individuals
Bills to limit PM’s tenure, split AG–PP roles to be tabled Monday
Fisheries Act amendment to strengthen marine mammal conservation
Thousands affected as overnight downpour triggers Paitan floods
Three rural areas in Sabah declared disaster zones after floods
Severe rain warning issued for several areas in Sabah
INTERACTIVE: A peek into the balik kampung exodus
MMA calls for stronger action against illegal clinics in Kuala Lumpur

Others Also Read