Company manager loses RM703,000 in investment scam


KUANTAN: A company manager lost RM703,000 after falling victim to a non-existent investment scheme operating through the WhatsApp application.

The 47-year-old woman reportedly downloaded the investment app provided by the suspect in early July 2024.

Pahang police chief Datuk Seri Yahaya Othman said the victim subsequently made investments in stages through seven transactions to four different bank accounts.

"Through the application, the victim was informed about the profits she made, but she was not allowed to make withdrawals. The victim realised she had been deceived after being asked to add more investment capital," he said on Sunday (April 6).

Yahaya stated that the report indicated the funds used by the victim included her own savings, her husband's money, and a loan from her employer.

In response, Yahaya advised the public not to be easily swayed by online investment offers promising high returns.

He also reminded the public to verify account numbers received through the official Royal Malaysian Police link, https://semakmule.rmp.gov.my/, before conducting any financial transactions.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read