Penang to face scheduled water supply interruption from April 25 to 28


GEORGE TOWN: Penangites will face a scheduled water supply interruption (SWSI) from April 25 to 28, says Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.

Chow said that the Penang Water Supply Corporation (PBAPP) would simultaneously carry out 23 waterworks projects across nine installations over a period of 24 to 60 hours, impacting 341,708 consumers.

"The disruption will be from 10pm on April 25 to 10am on April 28 and will affect consumers in all five districts in Penang.

"It will mainly affect those in the South-West district on the island.

"The main priority during this interruption is the final connection works for the new RM8.7mil, 1.35m pipeline connection works in Seberang Perai.

"They (PBAPP) are preparing to carry out the final connection works (Phase 1) of the Sungai River–Crossing Pipeline (SP–RCP) section at Ampang Jajar of Central Seberang Perai on April 25," he said at a press conference at his office in Komtar on Thursday (March 27).

Chow said PBAPP has decided to carry out other smaller projects during the water disruption.

"Other works include urgent upgrading and maintenance works related to treated water pumping operations, including repairing a 700mm diameter pipeline leakage and replacing a butterfly valve on a major 1.2m pipeline section at Jalan Pengkalan Tambang near the Sungai Dua WTP," he said.

Chow said the 23 projects must be completed within 18 hours for the water disruption to end as scheduled.

He said the project's total cost was RM25mil and would improve water supply and pressure to 465,000 accounts in the state.

"As only 50% of the Sungai Dua WTP will be shut this time, the recovery time will be faster than last year's disruption.

"Water supply recovery has been programmed in three stages, with some only facing a 24 or 48-hour disruption," he said.

Chow urged people to store water earlier to ensure they have enough for the duration.

"There will be more updates to come closer to the disruption," he said.

PBAPP executive officer Datuk K. Pathmanathan said 80 water tanks would be located at various hotspots to help consumers cope with the disruption.

"This will be the only major SWSI in Penang this year," he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read