Cops nab Tawau man for stealing tombstones


KOTA KINABALU: Residents in Tawau were shocked earlier this week when they noticed tombstones missing from some graves at a Muslim cemetery.

A video of the missing tombstones was shared and widely circulated, prompting investigations by Tawau police.

On Friday (March 14), the mystery was solved with the arrest of a 35-year-old local man from a house near the cemetery at Kg Sungai Imam Bombalai Laut.

Tawau OCPD Asst Comm Jasmin Hussin said the man was nabbed at around 2pm, and they also recovered the missing tombstones at the house.

"We have brought the suspect back to the police station for investigations and to find out the motive behind him stealing the tombstones," he said.

He stated that police will not compromise on any actions causing worry among the public.

ACP Jasmin said the case is being probed for mischief causing loss or damage.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre

Others Also Read