Sabah to reactivate shut tube wells to address Sandakan water woes


KOTA KINABALU: Residents in Sandakan, who have faced persistent water supply issues for months, are expected to see improvements soon as the Sabah government works to restore operations at several tube wells and expedite the construction of a new water treatment plant.

Sabah Works Minister Shahelmey Yahya stated that efforts are underway to reactivate non-operational tube wells to ensure a sufficient supply of raw water for treatment and distribution.

"As of now, two out of ten tube wells are operational, producing between three to 3.5 million litres of water daily. We are also working to activate two more wells in the near future to further boost capacity," he said after conducting a working visit to Sandakan on Wednesday (March 5).

Sandakan, home to nearly 500,000 residents, receives water from four main treatment plants—Segaliud, Bukit Garam, Sibuga, and Hilltop. However, the Hilltop plant was shut down in April last year after being deemed non-operational due to boreholes drying up, further worsening the crisis.

According to the Sabah Water Department, Sandakan requires 190 million litres per day (MLD), but current production stands at only 165 MLD, leaving a deficit of 25 MLD. This shortfall has led to prolonged water rationing in several areas, causing inconvenience to residents and businesses alike.

Shahelmey explained that one of the main challenges is the limited supply of raw water in Sandakan. Efforts are being made to restore more tube wells, including well number 7, expected to be operational soon. Aging pipelines prone to leaks and bursts have also contributed to supply disruptions.

"Once well number 7 is activated, the treated water supply from the Hilltop Water Treatment Plant could exceed four million litres per day. If well number 10 is also operational, we can further increase capacity. However, we need to ensure a consistent operation," he said.

To address the crisis, the government is building five new water storage tanks in Sandakan, scheduled for completion by July 2026. These storage facilities will help regulate water supply and reduce dependence on individual treatment plants.

At the same time, the state government is conducting a feasibility study on drawing water from the Kinabatangan River to augment Sandakan’s raw water supply as a long-term solution.

"The raw water supply in Sandakan is relatively limited, and in the long run, we are studying the feasibility of drawing water from the Kinabatangan River to be transferred to Sandakan. We hope this can be prioritised under the 13th Malaysia Plan," he said.

Acknowledging the legacy nature of the water crisis, Shahelmey said a massive investment is needed to fully resolve the issue.

"Solving the water supply issue in Sabah as a whole requires massive funding—amounting to billions of ringgit. However, under the current GRS Plus government, we have implemented various short- and long-term initiatives that will help stabilise the water supply situation in Sabah," he said.

Beyond Sandakan, similar efforts are ongoing in Kota Kinabalu, Kota Belud, and Papar, where new treatment plants are being constructed, with some expected to be completed by 2026.

He assured that while short-term solutions are being implemented, the government remains focused on long-term infrastructure improvements to ensure sustainable water supply across Sabah.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read